Wednesday 21 September 2011

Experiences with my First Blog -- Week Two

As someone who usually didn't care about blogs and doesn't really follow any, being asked to create one was a huge jump for me, and more then a little intimidating.

First, it took me a bit to figure out how to set up new posts, and I know I still haven't experimented with most of what this site can do -- which is somewhat of a pity, considering there's a lot of functionality that I'm not using and/or cannot find.  I'm still playing with the basic functions.

I will say that finding the basic RSS feed was a lot more difficult then I expected.  I use RSS myself and usually the RSS links are clearer.  Maybe it's just how I think, but it took me quite a while to find it.

Also, I'd like to alter the design to something a bit more generally accessible -- I'm very aware of accessible web design due to my previous work and interest, which is something that if this site can do, I can't figure it out.

This to me is a serious problem, because someone who doesn't think about accessibility wouldn't even consider it, and then all the information posted to a blog would be unavailable to some people.  As someone in Library Studies, I dislike the idea of information being unavailable because of technological barriers. 

It does also mean on a personal level, that there are several friends who will be unable to access this.  So much for sharing my new shiny find with my friends, and that's also discouraging.


That's about it for week two, and thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. Good post. You make some very good points about the inherent lack of accessibility of some blog sites. Libraries should be careful to ensure all products they use are accessible as possible

    ReplyDelete